Monday 6 May 2013

Mississauga Marathon Recap


No I didn't run a marathon yesterday! Mine is coming in October in ChicagoThe hubby ran his first marathon yesterday in Mississauga (the closest suburb to Toronto). He did an amazing job! Here is a recap of the day in pictures. I can't speak for him too much about what the course was like, but I believe the first half is downhill towards Lake Ontario and then some rolling hills along Lakeshore Drive to the finish.

Here is a picture of all of the great pictures and messages he received from friends and family in response to my message out to all of them about a month ago. Read here about my message to them.

Marathon Messages

This marathon is quite small. The marathon only had 840 finishers. The half marathon at about 3000 finishers and the 10K & 5K had 1,200 each. It was quite easy to park at the start, walk up with him, give him a kiss good luck and head off to my first spot along the course to watch him!

At the start!

I went to a location along the route where he would be passing by twice 22k & 28k. It was perfect! He said he was feeling really good when I saw him at the 22k and started feeling tired when I saw him again at 28k. I asked him how he was feeling at 28k and he shouted to me "I just want to be done!" As you can tell from this picture it was a sunny day. Around 52 at the start and it warmed up to 75 later in the day. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and full sun so it got warm!

Lookin' good at 22k!

We were very lucky to know someone who got us parking passes to the Port Credit Yacht Club to park our car. It's right at the finish and made it very convenient to get close to the finish to see him come in! We set out to watch him finish as he was coming around this pond. I got a good look ahead at him coming and decided to run a bit with him as he pushed to the finish! 

Pushing through to the finish!

Here's his happy face at the finish!

The Finisher!
Hugs for the finisher!
He had an amazing first marathon finishing time! Boston qualifying time for his age group (35-39) is 3:10! Crazy fast! He did an amazing 3:34:54 for his first marathon! Way to go honey!


From a spectators point of view I thought this was an easy race to support a runner at. Marathons can sometimes be a hard spectator sport if you are trying to watch a particular person along the course. It was great to see Josh 3 times along the course. 

Have you been a spectator at many marathons? Are there particular races that are easier or harder for watching friends or family?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your husband! I found your blog on Instagram. I did the 5K race of the Mississauga Marathon this weekend. Are you planning on doing the Oakville Half Marathon? http://www.smilesnsnuggles.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Victoria! Thank you for your note! Congrats to you as well on finishing your first 5k! I don't have any races on the schedule until Chicago in October. I was just talking with some people I run with about doing a half marathon this summer before Chicago. The Oakville half would be a good one!
    Do you have plans to run it?

    ReplyDelete